All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.97Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionLandslides and flooding in the Caribbean are destructive, endemic forces that destroy homes, businesses and schools, cost millions of dollars annually and kill hundreds of men, women and children. This book promotes a holistic approach for managing geohazards in the region. It emphasizes a preventive, proactive approach rather than a reactive one. It demonstrates and evaluates the use of current approaches and techlogies such as geographical information science, remote sensing and geographical positioning systems for managing geohazards. The book is structured in three parts: the first focuses on landslides; the second on floods; and the third on managing geohazards in small island nations including the development of early warning systems.The book is useful for both undergraduate and postgraduate students interested in geohazards and geohazards management, geographical information science, remote sensing, engineering, geography, geology, hydrology, environmental sciences and management. Decision makers in government, industry and commerce will find in this compact overview of flooding and landslides in the region, the best approaches and techlogies for managing them.
- Author BiographySerwan M.J. Baban is Head, School of Environmental Science and Management and Professor of Environmental Geoinformatics, Southern Cross University, Australia. He was also Professor of Surveying and Land Information and Chairman, School of Graduate Studies and Research, University of the West Indies, Trinidad and Tobago. He is the author of over eighty-five refereed journal articles. He has served as a consultant or advisor on environmental issues to several governments and universities in the United Kingdom, United States, Malaysia, Jordan, Malta, Tunisia and several Caribbean states including Trinidad and Tobago.
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited bySerwan M. J. Baban
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.