All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMiddle school general music may be a student's last encounter with school music. A practical book with accessible pedagogical resources on middle school general music is needed for methods courses and music practitioners' use. The book Engaging Musical Practices: A Sourcebook for Middle School General Music presents numerous ways to engage adolescents in active music making that is relevant to their lives so that they may be more apt to continue their involvement with music as a lifetime endeavor. Structured in twelve chapters, the book begins with perspectives on adolescent development and working with students with special needs. Five chapters are devoted to the pedagogy of teaching students practical musical skills such as singing, playing the keyboard, guitar, drums and percussion. Chapters on starting a steel band, using informal and formal music learning strategies, incorporating techlogy, implementing world music techniques, composing in the classroom, and the use of music-based learning centers lead the reader into implementing musical approaches focused on the doing of making music. The book is filled with musical examples, sample rubrics, and resource lists that take the reader beyond the book's content. Engaging Musical Practices provides exciting and classroom-tested content that connects in and out of school music making for adolescents, generating excitement for musical participation. This book is a necessity for any practitioner who teaches students in the middle grades or as a text for secondary general music methods courses.
- Author BiographySuzanne L. Burton is associate professor of music education and director of graduate studies at the University of Delaware. Her research interests include music acquisition, school-university partnerships, community engagement, and the construction of professional knowledge. She teaches undergraduate methods courses in early childhood and general music, graduate courses in research methods, curriculum development, and the psychology of music and advises undergraduate and graduate research.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication16/03/2012
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLanham
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Education
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited bySuzanne L. Burton
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.