Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionRather than being properties of the individual self, emotions are socially produced and deployed in specific cultural contexts, as this collection documents with unusual richness. All the essays show emotions to be a form of thought and kwledge, and a major component of social life - including in the nineteenth century, which attempted to relegate them to a feminine intimate sphere. The collection ranges across topics such as eighteenth-century sensibility, nineteenth-century concerns with the transmission of emotions, early twentieth-century cinematic affect, and the contemporary mobilization of political emotions including those regarding nstate national identities. The complexities and effects of emotions are explored in a variety of forms - political rhetoric, literature, personal letters, medical writing, cinema, graphic art, soap opera, journalism, popular music, digital media - with attention paid to broader European and transatlantic implications.
- Author BiographyLuisa Elena Delgado is Associate Professor of Spanish, Critical Theory, and Gender and Women's Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. Pura Fernandez is Research Professor in the Center for the Humanities and Social Sciences at Spain's National Research Council. Jo Labanyi is Professor of Spanish at New York University, USA.
- PublisherVanderbilt University Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationTennessee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVanderbilt University Press
- Weight825 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJo Labanyi,Luisa Elena Delgado,Pura Fernandez
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.