All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.23
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first English-Zulu / Zulu-English dictionary to be developed in South Africa. It was begun in the 1940s by Wits University lecturers, CM Doke and BW Vilakazi. Vilakazi was the first published Zulu-language poet and his collection, Amal'eZulu, is listed in the Top 100 African Books of the twentieth century. The aim of this dictionary is twofold: to meet the needs of the English speakers who wish to kw how to render the English into isiZulu, and to meet the needs of the isiZulu speakers who wish to kw the meaning and idiomatic use of English words. Various revisions were undertaken over the years. A new preface, written by Professor Mzilikazi Khumalo, was added in 1990 and provides an update to the phological tone markings originally indicated by Vilakazi. The English-Zulu Dictionary was published in 1958 by Doke, DM Malcolm and JMA Sikakana and reprinted in 1971. The first combined edition with English-Zulu / Zulu-English was published in 1990 and has been in print continuously since then. It remains the definitive dictionary of these languages. The present edition has been captured digitally and re-typeset in order to preserve and continue printing this important content.
- Author BiographyC. M. Doke was a linguist and Wits University lecturer. D. M. Malcolm was a linguist and so was J. M. A. Sikakana. B. W. Vilakazi was a South African poet, novelist, and Wits University lecturer. Mzilikazi Khumalo is a South African composer, arranger, and choral director, and a professor emeritus of African languages at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
- PublisherWits University Press
- Date of Publication19/06/2014
- Languageeng, zul
- SubjectBilingual Dictionaries
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintWits University Press
- Weight1380 g
- Width136 mm
- Height235 mm
- Edition Statement4th ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.