All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
About this product
- DescriptionNow in paperback! The concept of the American public library was born in the nineteenth century under the auspices of private citizens and small public organizations, and then grew through the nurturing of both the capitalist and democratic systems. Enrichment provides an overview of the table events and underlying trends that either furthered or deterred the growth of this beloved institution. The book is organized in a broad chrological order, dividing the twentieth century into six segments, from the first era up to World War I, and through the current decade leading to the turn of the next century. Within each segment there is a brief background summary of the main social, cultural, and political characteristics of the time. Then the broad thrust of library service in each period is reviewed, followed by more detailed examination of table professional developments in the same years. A brief introduction provides a summary of the public library's development in the nineteenth century, and two figures included in the text will assist the reader in further understanding the details of this ever-growing agency.
- Author BiographyLowell A. Martin (Ph.D., University of Chicago) has held administrative posts in school, academic and public libraries. He was Associate Dean of the Library School at Columbia University and organizer and Dean of the School at Rutgers University. He then spent ten years as Vice President of Grolier Incorporated. In recent years, he has conducted administrative surveys of libraries in various cities.
- Author(s)Lowell A. Martin
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1998
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight281 g
- Width122 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.