Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.34Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $75.04Trending at AU $77.30
- AU $60.02Trending at AU $61.06
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.57Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $46.01Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
About this product
- DescriptionMEET THE LONGVIEW - An Ancient Spaceship Resurrected To Transport Conspiracy Inhabited by a crew of misfits fleeing nightmare pasts, with a cargo of Condemned slated to die at the hands of the highest bidders, and with a passenger roster made up exclusively of people NOT who they claim to be, The Longview serves the hidden agenda of an eccentric recluse bent on playing puppetmaster to all of Settled Space. IN EPISODE ONE Condemned to death for the crime of love, a nameless criminal is purchased by the Death Circus; a crewman's hard-won promotion derails his plans; and, his ally pays a steep price for competence. Coming in EPISODE TWO: The Selling of Suzee Delight The reigning courtesan of the pleasure moon of Cheegoth murders the five senior administrators of the Pact Worlds during a private summit; The Longview Death Circus wins the bidding to execute her; and, the owner's representative negotiates with an artist rumored to be dead.
- Author BiographyHolly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She is currently working on the second book in her Cadence Drake series. Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer...which is to say, it was filled with foreign countries and exotic terrains, alien cultures, new languages, the occasional earthquake, flood, or civil war, and one story about a bear, which follows: So. Back when I was ten years old, my father and I had finished hunting ducks for our dinner and were walking across the tundra in Alaska toward the spot on the river where we'd tied our boat. We had a couple miles to go by boat to get back to the Moravian Children's Home, where we lived. My father was carrying the big bag of decoys and the shotgun; I was carrying the small bag of ducks. It was getting dark, we could hear the thud, thud, thud of the generator across the tundra, and suddenly he stopped, pointed down to a pie-pan sized indentation in the tundra that was rapidly filling with water, and said, in a calm and steady voice, That's a bear footprint. From the size of it, it's a grizzly. The fact that the track is filling with water right now means the bear's still around. Which got my attention, but not as much as what he said next. 'I don't have the gun with me that will kill a bear, ' he told me. 'I just have the one that will make him angry. So if we see the bear, I'm going to shoot him so he'll attack me. I want you to run to the river, follow it to the boat, get the boat back home, and tell everyone what happened.' The rest of our walk was very quiet. He was, I'm sure, listening for the bear. I was doing my damnedest to make sure that I remembered where the boat was, how to get to it, how to start the pull-cord engine, and how to drive it back home, because I did not want to let him down. We were not eaten by a bear that night...but neither is that walk back from our hunt for supper a part of my life I'll ever forget. I keep that story in mind as I write. If what I'm putting on paper isn't at least as memorable as having a grizzly stalking my father and me across the tundra while I was carrying a bag of delicious-smelling ducks, it doesn't make my cut.
- Author(s)Holly Lisle
- PublisherOnemoreword Books
- Date of Publication08/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOnemoreword Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight127 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.