All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.59
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book fifteen distinguished scientists discuss the effects of life--past and present--on planet Earth. Unlike other earth science and biology books, Environmental Evolution describes the impact of life on the Earth's rocky surfaces presenting an integrated view of how our planet evolved. Modeled on the Environmental Evolution course developed by Lynn Margulis and colleagues, it provides a unique synthesis of atmospheric, biological, and geological hypotheses that explain the present condition of the biosphere. The book develops scientific concepts essential to the reconstruction of the intertwined history of Earth's air, rocks, water, and life.After an introduction by James E. Lovelock on Gaia theory, the material proceeds in roughly chrological order from the origin of life in the early Archean Eon to the emergence of new environmental diseases in today's industrialized world. The second edition has been thoroughly revised, with more comprehensive chapters, additional illustrations, and new references.Contributors : Elso S. Barghoorn, Robert Buchsbaum, David Deamer, Stjepko Golubic, Jonathan King, Antonio Lazca, James E. Lovelock, Lynn Margulis, Clifford Matthews, Michael McElroy, Mark McMenamin, Raymond Siever, Paul Strother, Tony Swain, Neil Todd.
- Author BiographyThomas G. Mahnken is Acting Director of the Strategic Studies Program at the Johns Hopkins University'sPaul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication10/07/2000
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note122
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAaron Haselton,Dr. Clifford Matthews,Lynn Margulis
- Introduction byJames Lovelock
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.