All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
About this product
- DescriptionDavid R. Slavitt's affectionate translations of epigrams by sixteenth-century Welsh academic John Owen transmute a careful selection of the writer's work into a vision of life, and in so doing bring Owen into conversation with the present day. Pithy, quick, favoring balance and ecomy over elaboration of style, the epigram is difficult in any language; that Owen mastered it in a language other than his own attests to his immense talent. Owen's small treasures go directly to the core: At your coming into the world, you gave a cry/of protest: why then protest that you must die? Duessa's Version: A Dirge in Seven Canticles offers an irreverent and provocative recapitulation of The Faerie Queene, as told by Duessa, the mutable sorceress of Spenser's epic poem. Slavitt invests her with an unforgettable voice -- outraged, profane, wise, and wickedly funny -- and an exasperated contempt for the hero, Spenser's Redcrosse Knight. Duessa's retelling of The Faerie Queene becomes the scaffolding upon which Slavitt hangs his reflections on twentieth-century civilization and culture that are indebted at once to intelligent observation, to Spenser, and to Borscht Belt comedy.Here are virtuoso performances by a poet with resources of wit and erudition that are thing short of astonishing. These masterly translations are bound to get him -- or at least his ghost -- invited back .
- Author BiographyDavid R. Slavitt is the author of more than sixty volumes of fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, including the poem A Gift: The Life of da Ponte, the poetry collection Crossroads, and the novel The Cliff. He lives in Philadelphia.
- Author(s)David R. Slavitt
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/1997
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBaton Rouge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Weight136 g
- Width139 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.