With its lush forests, fertile land, and abundant waterways, Epping began attracting European settlers as early as 1710 before incorporating as an independent town in 1741. The town became home to successful farms, lumber operations, and mills built along the Lamprey River. Clay that lay beneath the fertile soil emerged as an important resource when commercial brickyards began popping up all over town in 1822. Epping became a crossroads for multiple rail lines, which spurred ecomic development and population booms. In 1862, undeveloped land became home to the Methodist campground Camp Hedding. Factories, especially those specializing in shoes, were established in the area as well. Epping s industrial concerns lasted until the late 20th century, when it grew as a retail center at the junction of Routes 101 and 125. Epping has been home to prominent residents, including a Revolutionary War general, three New Hampshire goverrs, a world heavyweight boxing champion, the first person to circumnavigate the world on a motorcycle, and a female collegiate basketball great.