All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.50Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionIn Eradicating Ecocide, international environment lawyer and Ecocide law expert Polly Higgins sets out to demonstrate how our planet is fast being destroyed by the activities of corporations and governments, facilitated by 'compromise' laws that offer insufficient deterrence. She offers a solution that is radical yet pragmatic and, as she explains, necessary. Starting with the Mexican Gulf oil spill, a compelling reminder of the consequences of un-checked ecocide, Higgins advocates the introduction of an international Ecocide law. As the missing 5th Crime Against Peace it would hold to account heads of corporate bodies who are found guilty of perpetrating ecocide. The opportunity to implement this law represents a crossroads in the fate of humanity; we can accept this one change and in doing so save our ecosystem for future generations, or we can continue to destroy it, risking future brutal war over disappearing natural resources. This is the first book to examine the power of law to change everything.Higgins provides context by presenting examples of laws in other countries and in earlier times in history which have succeeded in curtailing the power of governments, corporations and banks and have triggered change. Eradicating Ecocide is a crash course on what laws work, what doesn't, and what else is required to prevent the ever escalating destruction. Eradicating Ecocide provides a comprehensive overview of what is required in law in order to prevent ecocide. It is a book unlike any other; based on a principle of 'first do harm', it applies equally to global as well as smaller communities and anyone who is involved in decision-making. The second edition includes amendments and corrections as well as bringing the book up to date.
- Author BiographyPolly Higgins is a barrister and international environmental lawyer who demystifies our environmental crises from a legal perspective. Advocating a crime of ecocide - 'extensive damage, destruction to or loss of ecosystems' she has one basic overriding tenet, first do no harm. The Ecologist Magazine voted her one of the 'Worlds Top 10 Visionary Thinkers', and she has been nominated 'The Lawyer for Planet Earth' by the 2010 Performance Awards.
- PrizesWinner of People's Book Prize: Non-Fiction 2011.
- Author(s)Polly Higgins
- PublisherShepheard-Walwyn (Publishers) Ltd
- Date of Publication08/10/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShepheard-Walwyn (Publishers) Ltd
- Weight272 g
- Width136 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.