All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionU.S. Navy Supply Corps Ensign Ross Hofmann had idea what was in store for him when he arrived at Cavite Naval Base in October 1941. Two months later, Japanese forces struck the Philippines, destroying the base and forcing U.S. personnel to retreat to Bataan. There, Hofmann participated in salvage missions around Manila and joined a makeshift unit of airmen and sailors to fight a Japanese force that landed nearby. In March 1942, he travelled to Cebu to run supplies through the blockade of Bataan and Corregidor. Soon after his arrival, the Japanese landed on Cebu, forcing the Americans to retreat again. Hiking through jungles and crossing dangerous waters in barely seaworthy craft, Hofmann avoided capture and reached an American base in Mindanao. He received orders to establish a seaplane base on Lake Lanao. As Japanese troops landed nearby, two seaplanes returning from Corregidor stopped to refuel, one of them hitting a rock on take-off. In a harrowing race against the enemy advance, Hofmann and others worked feverishly to fix the plane and escape before the Japanese converged on Lake Lanao.
- Author BiographyDavid L. Snead is a history professor at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. Anne B. Craddock is a professional artist and International Montessori teacher. Her father is the author of this memoir.
- Author(s)Ross E. Hofmann
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight386 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAnne B. Craddock,David L. Snead
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.