All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEssential Human Virology is written for the undergraduate level with case studies integrated into each chapter. The structure and classification of viruses will be covered, as well as virus transmission and virus replication strategies based upon type of viral nucleic acid. Several chapters will focus on table and recognizable viruses and the diseases caused by them, including influenza, HIV, hepatitis viruses, poliovirus, herpesviruses, and emerging and dangerous viruses. Additionally, how viruses cause disease, or pathogenesis, will be highlighted during the discussion of each virus family, and a chapter on the immune response to viruses will be included. Further, research laboratory assays and viral diagsis assays will be discussed, as will vaccines, anti-viral drugs, gene therapy, and the beneficial uses of viruses. By focusing on general virology principles, current and future techlogies, familiar human viruses, and the effects of these viruses on humans, this textbook will provide a solid foundation in virology while keeping the interest of undergraduate students.
- Author BiographyJennifer Louten received her doctoral degree from Brown University Medical School, where she investigated the cellular targets of infection and the induction of type 1 interferons following infection with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. Dr. Louten is currently an associate professor of biology at Kennesaw State University, where she has served as a Teaching Fellow and developed courses in virology, biotechnology, immunology, and cell culture techniques. She is presently the biotechnology program coordinator and the director of a scholarship program sponsored by a National Science Foundation grant. She is the recipient of a Kennesaw State University Outstanding Early Career Faculty Award and the Student Government Association's Faculty of the Year Award. Before becoming a professor, Dr. Louten performed research in drug discovery at Schering-Plough Biopharma (currently Merck Research Laboratories). She received her Bachelor of Science in biotechnology from the Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Author(s)Jennifer Louten
- PublisherElsevier Science Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication26/05/2016
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Press Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight930 g
- Width216 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.