All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaul Laffoley, who once worked for Frederick Kiesler and Andy Warhol, emerged in recent years as one of the leading visionary artists of our time. Lavishly illustrated, <i>The Essential Paul Laffoley</i> documents the evolution of his unique intellectual, spiritual, and artistic approaches. Living and working in a tiny space in Boston he called the Boston Visionary Cell, Laffoley became best kwn for his large mandala-like paintings filled with symbols and texts. Their titles range from the pararmal and arcane, such as <i>The Ectoplasmic Man</i> and <i>The Sexuality of Robots</i>, to the organic, as with <i>Das Urpflanze Haus</i>, to the erudite, including <i>De Rerum Natura</i>, a reference to the Roman poet Lucretius. Whether focused on working with plants to create living architecture or centered on the process of alchemy, these detailed, brilliantly colored works reflect Laffoley's utopian hopes and transdisciplinary interests: throughout, he aimed to unite the boundless freedom of human imagination with the mathematical precision of the physical world. Nearly one hundred of Laffoley's works are showcased here along with his accompanying thought-forms, texts specific to each painting that comment on its particular content. Together with an introduction by editor and gallerist Douglas Walla, a biography by fellow artist Steven Moskowitz, and essays by scholars Linda Dalrymple Henderson and Arielle Saiber, this book is a long-awaited celebration of the theories, writings, and artworks of an extraordinary mind.
- Author Biography<b>Paul Laffoley</b> (1935-2015) was an artist and architect based in Boston. <b>Douglas Walla</b> is the founder of Kent Fine Art in New York.
- Author(s)Paul Laffoley
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight1950 g
- Width279 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byDouglas Walla
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.08
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.