All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEssentials of Geriatric Psychiatry, Second Edition, distills the main concepts from The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Geriatric Psychiatry, Fourth Edition, thoroughly covering t only a wide range of important mental disorders of the elderly but also the so-called rmal biological, social, and behavioral effects of aging. Essentials of Geriatric Psychiatry is organized into sections devoted to the basic science underlying geriatric psychiatry and to the evaluation, presentation, and treatment of the most common psychiatric disorders in the elderly -- from mood disorders and anxiety to schizophrenia and circadian rhythm disorders. Among the additional topics considered are - Neuropsychological assessment and its role in the diagsis of dementia and in differentiating among various cognitive disorders.- Specific dementia syndromes -- Alzheimer's dementia, vascular dementia, dementias due to Lewy body disease, and dementia due to frontotemporal degeneration -- and their treatment.- Approaches to assessment, diagsis, prevention, and management of delirium, with emphasis on npharmacological interventions as the first line of treatment.- New findings on bipolar disorder with onset in late life, including treatment guidelines based on case reports.- An in-depth review of late-life bereavement, reflecting a wealth of recent research regarding intense and/or complicated grief.- The physical consequences of alcoholism in later life, including interactions between alcohol use and chronic or periodic illness in elderly patients. Chapter summaries are delivered in concise Key Point fashion, and the book's wide array of helpful tables and charts present complex information in an easy-to-absorb form. The Second Edition of Essentials of Geriatric Psychiatry is a must-have reference for geriatric psychiatrists and psychologists and other practicing clinicians, residents in training, psychiatric nurses, social workers, and researchers.
- Author BiographyDan G. Blazer, M.D., Ph.D., is J. P. Gibbons Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina.David C. Steffens, M.D., M.H.S., is Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina and President-elect of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry.
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Publishing
- Date of Publication15/01/2012
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationArlington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white tables, tables, line drawings
- Weight885 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byDan G. Blazer,David C. Steffens
- Edition Statement2nd edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.