All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionSoutheast Asia is a region of eleven different states, each having many different peoples, languages, cultures and religions. However, general ideas, principles or rules which can encompass any one particular example or one country are nevertheless possible. This constant interplay and interaction between the specific and the general, between the local and the regional, between region and nation, between history and current times, is one of the characteristics of Southeast Asia. In taking this background into consideration it is important to distinguish between rule and exception, to trace down recurrent themes in history according to changing circumstances, and to seek possible ways of smoothing tensions or of solving conflicts. This book includes contributions covering about seven Southeast Asian countries: Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam on the mainland, as well as Singapore and Indonesia on the islands. The contributions deal with all three of the important categories of ethnic mirities: the tribal or indigeus populations, the nationalities who live as majority population in neighbouring states, and the so-called 'Foreign Asians'. Furthermore, general questions such as Nationalitatenpolitik and language politics (Sprachenpolitik) are also addressed.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Thomas Engelbert is a historian, working as Professor for Vietnamese Language and Culture at the University of Hamburg. Hans Dieter Kubitscheck is a historian and ethnologist and Professor Emeritus of Southeast Asian History and Society of the Humboldt University, Berlin.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/03/2004
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note2 maps, num. tables
- Weight380 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byHans Dieter Kubitscheck,Thomas Engelbert
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.