Ethnicity and Race: Making Identities in a Changing World by Stephen E. Cornell, Douglas Hartmann (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $121.43+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEthnicity and Race: Making Identities in a Changing World, Second Edition uses examples and extended case studies from all over the world to craft a compelling, even-handed account of the power and persistence of ethnicity and race in the contemporary world. Kwn for its conceptual clarity, world-historical scope, and fair-minded treatment of these oft controversial topics, this updated and expanded edition retains all of the core elements and constructionist insights of the original. New to the Second Edition: Provides new concrete examples from around the world: Dozens of new examples have been added, including extended case studies of ethnic/identity construction in the former Yugoslavia, South Africa, and New Zealand. In addition, several new sections discuss treatments of neo-assimilation and segmented assimilation, and the invisibility of racial dominance. Incorporates the latest research and thinking in the field: Motivated by the suburban uprisings of 2005, an extended case study of race, culture, and belonging in contemporary France is fashioned. The theoretical underpinnings of this unique synthesis of race and ethnicity are sharpened throughout the volume, and the authors incorporate some of their own recent work on ethnic and racial analytic frames to sketch out broader implications for the field and possibilities for the future. Discusses the emergence of modernity and globalization: The authors demonstrate why ethnic and racial boundaries over the last 30 years and contrary to earlier, optimistic predictions have become stronger and more strident under the pressures of modernization, mass communication, and secularization. The book concludes by discussing how the downward spiral of hate and separateness can be halted, and even reversed. Intended Audience: This influential text is ideal for advanced undergraduate courses on race and ethnicity such as American Race Relations; Racial and Ethnic Relations; Ethnic Conflict; Comparative Race Relations; Cultural Diversity; Immigration Studies in the departments of Sociology, Ethnic Studies, Global Studies, and Anthropology.
- Author BiographyStephen Cornell is professor of sociology and of public administration and policy at The University of Arizona, where he also directs the Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy. His Ph.D. is from the University of Chicago. He taught at Harvard University for nine years and at the University of California, San Diego for nine more before joining the Arizona faculty in 1998. He has written widely on ethnicity and race and on issues involving indigenous peoples in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Douglas Hartmann (Ph.D. University of California, San Diego, 1997) is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Minnesota. Much of his research focuses on the intersections of race and sports in American culture. Hartmann is the author of Race, Culture, and the Revolt of the Black Athlete: The 1968 African American Olympic Protests and Their Aftermath (University of Chicago Press, 2003), and is currently working on a project that uses midnight basketball as a case study of sports-based risk prevention in the contemporary United States. He is also one of the principle investigators of the American Mosaic Project, an ongoing, multi-method study of race, religion and diversity funded by the Minneapolis-based Edelstein Family Foundation.
- Author(s)Douglas Hartmann,Stephen E. Cornell
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication13/02/2007
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSociology for a New Century Series
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPine Forge
- Content NoteIllustrations, map
- Weight445 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.