All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
About this product
- DescriptionEighteen of the ninety or so plays composed by Euripides between 455 and 406 BCE survive in a complete form and are included in the first six volumes of the Loeb Euripides . A further fifty-two tragedies and eleven satyr plays, including a few of disputed authorship, are kwn from ancient quotations and references and from numerous papyri discovered since 1880. No more than one-fifth of any play is represented, but many can be reconstructed with some accuracy in outline, and many of the fragments are striking in themselves. The extant plays and the fragments together make Euripides by far the best kwn of the classic Greek tragedians.This edition of the fragments, concluded in this second volume, offers the first complete English translation together with a selection of testimonia bearing on the content of the plays. The texts are based on the recent comprehensive edition of R. Kannicht. A general introduction discusses the evidence for the lost plays. Each play is prefaced by a select bibliography and an introductory discussion of its mythical background, plot, and location of the fragments, general character, chrology, and impact on subsequent literary and artistic traditions.
- Author BiographyChristopher Collard is Emeritus Professor of Classics at the University of Wales, Swansea. Martin Cropp is Professor Emeritus of Greek and Roman Studies at the University of Calgary, Canada.
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication17/02/2009
- LanguageEnglish & English & Greek, Ancient (to 1453) & Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleLoeb Classical Library
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 506
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLoeb Classical Library
- Weight499 g
- Width108 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byChristopher Collard,Martin Cropp
- Translated byChristopher Collard,Martin Cropp
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.