All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe European Garden Flora is the definitive manual for the accurate identification of cultivated ornamental flowering plants. Designed to meet the highest scientific standards, the vocabulary has nevertheless been kept as uncomplicated as possible so that the work is fully accessible to the informed gardener as well as to the professional botanist. This new edition has been thoroughly reorganised and revised, bringing it into line with modern taxomic kwledge. Although European in name, the Flora covers plants cultivated in most areas of the United States and Canada as well as in n-tropical parts of Asia and Australasia. Volume 3 contains accounts of 47 families, including those formerly included in the Legumisae (Mimosaceae, Caesalpiniaceae, Fabaceae) as well as the large and important Rosaceae. Also included are those families formerly covered by the name Saxifragaceae (Saxifragaceae in the strict sense, Penthoraceae, Grossulariaceae, Parnassiaceae, Hydrangeaceae and Escalloniaceae).
- Author BiographyJames Cullen has been a professional plant taxonomist for over 50 years, working particularly on the classification and identification of plants in cultivation (especially Rhododendron) at Liverpool and Edinburgh Universities, at the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, and in Cambridge. With the late Dr S. M. Walters, he was the initiator of the first edition of The European Garden Flora and is responsible for two spin-offs, The Orchid Book (1992) and Manual of North European Garden Plants (2001). Sabina Knees is a taxonomist at the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh and although now working on plants of the Middle East, particularly the flora of the Arabian Peninsula and Socotra, she spent over 20 years working as a horticultural taxonomist for the Royal Horticultural Society and the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh and is a founder member of the Horticultural Taxonomy Group (HORTAX). She was editor of The New Plantsman for seven years and worked initially as a research associate and then as a member of the editorial committee on the first edition of The European Garden Flora. Suzanne Cubey has worked at the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh (RBGE) since 1987, originally as a researcher, and then later becoming the Assistant Secretary on the Editorial Board for the first edition of The European Garden Flora. Since 2005 her main role has been as Assistant Herbarium Curator with particular responsibility for the cultivated plants, where she curates the cultivated specimens in the RBGE herbarium and manages the vouchering of research material from the living collections.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication11/08/2011
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Series TitleEuropean Garden Flora
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note53 b/w illus.
- Weight1750 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byH. Suzanne Cubey,James Cullen,Sabina G. Knees,Suzanne H. Cubey
- Edition Statement2nd edition
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.