All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis short and simple introduction to European politics, which includes Western and Eastern Europe as well as Russia, demonstrates how European nations have attempted to cope with division within Europe and in international politics. Highlighting differences with U.S. politics, Slomp examines the European system from various perspectives, including geography, religion, ecomics, and social composition. Two separate chapters discuss relations within the European Union as well as its interaction with nations outside the group. Tables and figures provide a wealth of information on the location of mirities, the ideological spectrum, and social policies. Directed toward both an American and a European readership, this study includes information about the importance of ethnicity and religion, the impact of new migration waves, and the position of the labor movement. It covers the role of political parties, the Americanization of election campaigns, and the prevalence of coalition governments. A chapter on European style civil society focuses on the influence of pressure groups, the popularity of formal business/trade union/government contracts, the mass media, local politics, and federal political systems. Every chapter deals with the social transformation of the former communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe. A final section contains a brief description of all the nations by groupings.
- Author BiographyHANS SLOMP is Senior Lecturer in the Political Science Department at the University of Nymegen in Holland. He teaches European and American Politics and Labor Relations and has lectured at the New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, and at universities in Colombia and Peru. His other books include Between Bargaining and Politics: An Introduction to European Labor Relations (Praeger, 1998).
- Author(s)Hans Slomp
- Date of Publication28/02/2000
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteindex
- Weight320 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $11.75
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $28.11
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.