All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.69
About this product
- DescriptionSustainability is an important issue in the development debate but there is little consensus regarding what sustainable development really means and how its attainment can be evaluated. This book attempts to address the question of how the sustainability of agriculture could be assessed; the idea is then applied and analyzed in the case of a river watershed in Costa Rica. The sustainability of agriculture is described by indicators at the plot-, farm- and watershed-level. Reference values are determined which allow the measurement of changes in the indicator values caused by current land use. Multivariate statistical procedures and the assessment of frontier production functions for the principal crops are the main instruments of the empirical analysis. Furthermore, ecomic social and environmental indicators are aggregated to a sustainability index at the farm level in order to allow for comparison between farms. Policy options and possible interventions for the improvement of sustainability are then discussed and the study concludes with the lessons learned and suggestions for further research.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Sabine Mueller was born in Neunkirchen, Germany, in 1959. She studied Agriculture and Agricultural Economics at the Universities of Bonn and Kiel and graduated in 1985. The author worked as a consultant and project coordinator for national and international development agencies in Africa and Latin America. In 1997, she received her Doctorate in Agricultural Economics at the University of Kiel. Sabine Mueller is working currently as project coordinator in a joint development project of the German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ) and the Ministry of Livestock, Agriculture and Fisheries of Uruguay (MGAP) in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Author(s)Sabine Muller
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/11/1997
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleEuropean University Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 2194
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1997
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note15 fig., num. tab.
- Weight310 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.