All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionCharting important new territory within medieval gender studies, Megan Moore explores the vital role that women played in transmitting kwledge and empire within Mediterranean cross-cultural marriages. Whereas cross-cultural exchange has typically been understood through the lens of male-centered translation work, this study, which is grounded in the relations between the west and Byzantium, examines cross-cultural marriage as a medium of literary and cultural exchange, one in which women's work was equally important as men's. Moore's readings of Old French and Medieval Greek texts reveal the extent to which women challenged the cultures into which they married and shaped their new courtly environments. Through the lens of medieval gender and postcolonial theory, Exchanges in Exoticism demonstrates how the process of cultural exchange - and empire building - extends well beyond our traditional assumptions about gender roles in the medieval Mediterranean.
- Author BiographyMegan Moore is an assistant professor in the Department of Romance Languages at the University of Missouri.
- Author(s)Megan Moore
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Weight450 g
- Width159 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.