All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.82
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionPositioned at a crossroads between feminist geographies and modernist studies, Excursions into Modernism considers transnational modernist fiction in tandem with more rarely explored travel narratives by women of the period who felt increasingly free to journey abroad and redefine themselves through travel. In an era when Western artists, writers, and musicians sought 'primitive' ideas for artistic renewal, Joyce E. Kelley locates a key similarity between fiction and travel writing in the way women authors use foreign experiences to inspire invations with written expression and self-articulation. She focuses on the pairing of outward journeys with more inward, introspective ones made possible through reconceptualizing and mobilizing elements of women's traditional corporeal and domestic geographies: the skin, the ill body, the womb, and the pia. In texts ranging from Jean Rhys's Voyage in the Dark to Virginia Woolf's The Voyage Out and from Evelyn Scott's Escapade to Dorothy Richardson's Pilgrimage, Kelley explores how interactions between geographic movement, identity formation, and imaginative excursions produce modernist experimentation. Drawing on fascinating supplementary and archival materials such as letters, diaries, newspaper articles, photographs, and unpublished drafts, Kelley's book cuts across national and geographic borders to offer rich and often revisionary interpretations of both canical and lesser-kwn works.
- Author BiographyJoyce E. Kelley is Associate Professor of English at Auburn University Montgomery, USA.
- Author(s)Dr. Joyce E. Kelley
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2015
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 9 b&w illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.