All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionExeter played a vital role during the First World War supplying men for the Army and raising funds to help troops overseas. The Mayoress and her team played a key part collecting money to aid homeless Belgian refugees in the city while also supporting other worthy causes both home and overseas. Soldiers travelling through Exeter all received food, refreshments and cigarettes due to the money raised. The city had its own battalion, 'Exeter's Own' and thousands of servicemen passed through the city on their way to rthern Europe. Players at Exeter City football club were amongst the first to join the Colours and later the Footballers' Battalion (the 17th Battalion Middlesex Regiment). The effect of the war on Exeter was great. By the end of the conflict, there wasn't a family in Exeter who hadn't lost a son, father, nephew, uncle or brother. There were tremendous celebrations in the streets as the end of the war was anunced but the effects of the conflict lasted for years to come.
- Author BiographyDerek Tait is a full-time author who lives in Plymouth. Born in 1961, he lived his early years in Singapore and Malaysia and has written several books about his time there, including 'Sampans, Banyans and Rambutans'. A former photographer and cartoonist, his work has been featured in newspapers and magazines around the world. A keen historian, his books include '1950s Childhood,' 'A 1970s Childhood,' 'Butlins An Illustrated History' and 'Houdini the British Tours' as well as many books in the 'Through Time' series for Amberley Publishing. He has also written many local history books including 'Plymouth,' 'Plymouth at War,' 'Saltash Passage,' 'St Budeaux,' 'Plymouth Hoe,' 'Mount Edgcumbe,' 'Saltash,' 'Memories of St Budeaux,' 'Plymouth Tales From the Past' and 'Images of Plymouth.'
- Author(s)Derek Tait
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication23/02/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Content Note100 Illustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.