All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the reception of imperial ekphraseis in Hagia Sophia to the sounds and smells of the back streets of Constantiple, the sensory perception of Byzantium is an area that lends itself perfectly to an investigation into the experience of the Byzantine world. The theme of experience embraces all aspects of Byzantine studies and the Experiencing Byzantium symposium brought together archaeologists, architects, art historians, historians, musicians and theologians in a common quest to step across the line that divides how we understand and experience the Byzantine world and how the Byzantines themselves perceived the sensual aspects of their empire and also their faith, spirituality, identity and the nature of 'being' in Byzantium. The papers in this volume derive from the 44th Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies, held for the Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies by the University of Newcastle and University of Durham, at Newcastle upon Tyne in April 2011. They are written by a group of international scholars who have crossed disciplinary boundaries to approach an understanding of experience in the Byzantine world. Experiencing Byzantium is volume 18 in the series published by Ashgate on behalf of the Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies.
- Author BiographyDr Claire Nesbitt is Post Doctoral Research Associate in the Department of Archaeology Durham University, UK; Dr Mark Jackson is Lecturer in Archaeology in the School of Historical Studies, Newcastle University, UK.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/10/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitlePublications of the Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number18
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 39 b&w illustrations
- Weight888 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byClaire Nesbitt,Mark Jackson
- Series Edited byMs. Rowena Loverance
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.