All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $25.79Trending at AU $26.18
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionWhile there are numerous film studies that focus on one particular grouping of films-by nationality, by era, or by technique-here is the first single volume that incorporates all of the above, offering a broad overview of experimental Latin American film produced over the last twenty years. Analyzing seventeen recent films by eleven different filmmakers from Argentina, Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Paraguay, and Peru, Cynthia Tompkins uses a comparative approach that finds commonalities among the disparate works in terms of their influences, aesthetics, and techniques. Tompkins introduces each film first in its sociohistorical context before summarizing it and then subverting its canical interpretation. Pivotal to her close readings of the films and their convergences as a collective cinema is Tompkins's application of Deleuzian film theory and the concept of the time-image as it pertains to the treatment of time and repetition. Tompkins also explores such topics as the theme of decolonization, the consistent use of montage, paratactically structured narratives, and the fusion of documentary conventions and neorealism with drama. An invaluable contribution to any dialogue on the avant-garde in general and to filmmaking both in and out of Latin America, <cite>Experimental Latin American Cinema is also a welcome and insightful addition to Latin American studies as a whole.
- Author BiographyCynthia Tompkins, an Associate Professor of Spanish and Latin American Cultural Production at Arizona State University, was born and raised in Argentina. She is the author of Latin American Postmodernisms: Women Writers and Experimentation, as well as a significant number of refereed articles, and has translated and coedited numerous other publications.
- Author(s)Cynthia Tompkins
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note74 b&w photos
- Weight608 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine661 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.