All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.22Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.57Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn Experimental Otherwise , Benjamin Piekut takes the reader into the heart of what we mean by 'experimental' in avant-garde music. Focusing on one place and time - New York City, 1964 - Piekut examines five disparate events: the New York Philharmonic's disastrous performance of John Cage's Atlas Eclipticalis; Henry Flynt's demonstrations against the downtown avant-garde; Charlotte Moorman's Avant Garde Festival; the founding of the Jazz Composers Guild; and, the emergence of Iggy Pop. Drawing together a colorful array of personalities, Piekut argues that each of these examples points to a failure and marks a limit or boundary of canical experimentalism. What emerges from these marginal moments is an accurate picture of the avant-garde, t as a style or genre, but as a network defined by disagreements, struggles, and exclusions.
- Author BiographyBenjamin Piekut is Assistant Professor of Musicology at Cornell University.
- Author(s)Benjamin Piekut
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication04/04/2011
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCalifornia Studies in 20th-Century Music
- Series Part/Volume Number11
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note15 b/w photographs, 3 music examples
- Weight467 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.