All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis fascinating book introduces and explores the resonance of Gandhi's (1869--1948) ethics of nviolence in the visual arts. Taking the form of a reader, the texts range across influences on Gandhian philosophy and outgrowths from it. The accompanying images include Gandhi's own icography, photojournalism of related social movements and nviolent struggles, artworks speaking to violence or issuing from an inner space of peace, and portraits of the Mahatma's forebears and followers. Experiments with Truth counterpoints art and ideas: religious art of the past, paintings and sculpture from the mid-20th century on, contemporary installations, newly written historical summaries and thematic explorations, reprints of texts by famous peacemakers, and passages in religious texts that inspired Gandhi.
- Author BiographyJosef Helfenstein is director and Joseph N. Newland is director of publishing, both at the Menil Collection, Houston.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication04/11/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleMenil Collection
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note220 color + b/w illus.
- Weight1634 g
- Width203 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byJosef Helfenstein,Joseph N. Newland
- Introduction byJosef Helfenstein
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.