All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book studies the relationship and balance of power between experts and laymen. It is rooted in the author's analysis of customer and contractor interactions in the housing industry, but relevant to other kinds of expert-layman relationships. Many of the conflicts between customer and contractor ted by the author also occur in lawyer-client, student-teacher, and doctor-patient relations. The author's research is structured around three core categories pertaining to experts' relations with laymen: choosing experts, power symmetry, and what he calls elsewhereism. The first category has to do with seeking experts, finding them, referrals, and judging whether or t to use experts. Power symmetry concerns the inherent imbalance of power between an expert and a layman. Elsewhereism focuses on the constant competition that laymen face with unseen others in claiming the time and services of an expert. Experts versus Laymen broadens the analysis of expert-layman phemena far beyond similar studies. It examines processes of bidding, gaining information, inspecting and evaluating work, winning trust, bargaining over costs, and determining who has situational control. This book discusses t only the contracting process in the housing industry, but-far more important-a world of power and domination in expert-laymen relationships.
- Author BiographyBarney G. Glaser is an American sociologist and one of the founders of the grounded theory methodology.
- Author(s)Barney G. Glaser
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.