All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA guide to the unexpected natural gems of real Florida The enchanted places in our state are sometimes hidden and t well kwn. Sandra Friend presents a collection of sites worthy of a pilgrimage in this descriptive guide. --David Price, director, Bok Tower Gardens FoundationThe distance, by land, from Key West to Pensacola is greater than that between New Orleans and Chicago. There are eighty-one distinct biological communities in Florida, and botanists recognize more than 4,200 unique plants in the state. The state contains several world-rewned hot spots for flora, including the Apalachicola River valley, the Lake Wales Ridge, the Big Cypress Swamp, and the Everglades. In the United States, only Hawai i and California can claim greater biodiversity.In Exploring Florida's Botanical Wonders expert hiker and award-winning author Sandra Friend provides readers with a travel guide that surveys the Sunshine State's spectacular biological offerings. Organized by geographic region, Friend includes engaging descriptions of the plant communities at each site, as well as directions to and information about each location.With so much to choose from, Friend selected 250 sites for inclusion based on the age, density, or rarity of species found there, as well as provisions made for public access to these sites. She features a range of natural areas as well as public botanical gardens, making the book ideal for both the hardiest and the most timid nature lovers.From ancient groves of oaks once preserved by President John Quincy Adams as an emergency supply of ship's timber to unusual communities of plants borne by the wind and the water from the Caribbean, this book reveals Florida flora at its most awe-inspiring.
- Author BiographySandra Friend is the author of numerous books on outdoor Florida, including the 50 Hikes series, Along the Florida Trail, Hiker's Guide to the Sunshine State, and, with Johnny Molloy, The Hiking Trails of Florida's National Forests, Parks, and Preserves.
- Author(s)Sandra Friend
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNatural History: Plants
- Series TitleWild Florida
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps, colour plates
- Weight431 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.