Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.69+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSailing, one of the most ancient methods of transport and exploration, is becoming more and more extreme. Techlogical advancements mean that vessels are getting faster while sailors are better equipped than ever to conquer the elements and explore uncharted waters with sophisticated satellite navigation systems. This sailing subculture thrives on adrenaline, with sailors seeing just how far they can push their boats and crew. Today's sailors have an insatiable desire to smash records and make history, conquering near-impossible weather conditions and treacherous icy waters in the process. Maritime marathons such as The Race, in which competitors circumnavigate the globe in as fast a time as possible, are springing up around the globe and attracting more and more fearless individuals. 'Extreme Sail' is a circumnavigation of the most extreme maritime feats - including the Vendee Globe, the Sydney-Hobart, The America's Cup and the Ostar. Engaging text is accompanied by visually breathtaking photographs capturing the true spirit of extreme sailing and the book was shortlisted for Best Illustrated Book at the 2007 British Sports Book Awards. There are also quotes throughout from sailors who have participated in extreme events and a gazetteer at the back of the book gives information on all the races, events and competitions mentioned.
- Author BiographyOliver Dewar was introduced to sailing at an early age. Sailing on his parent's boat quickly led to dinghy racing and then to handling larger, inshore yachts. Racing with various teams, he competed in events in Europe, North America and Asia sailing a diverse range of boats. In 1998 he entered the professional ocean racing circuit at its highest level with sailing events involving numerous transatlantic races and offshore events all over the world. Dewar has been to many of the world's emptiest oceans and most remote locations, enabling him to see nature at her most wild and savage and the effect this can have on both men and boats. In 2003, he began to build a career in yachting journalism, as editor of a racing team's website and a regular contributor to thedailysail.com. He has provided a column for Yachting World magazine and provides web, print and radio commentary for a number of major sailing events. Most recently, he was broadcast news producer for Ellen MacArthur's team during her successful, round-the-world record attempt. Oliver Dewar is 45 and lives on the Isle of Wight.
- Author(s)Oliver Dewar
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication30/06/2006
- SubjectWater Sports
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPavilion Books
- Content Note200 colour photographs
- Weight944 g
- Width218 mm
- Height272 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Foreword byEllen MacArthur
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.