All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionThe American Republic was born in revolt against the British crown, and ever since, political extremism has had a long tradition in the United States. To some observers, the continued presence of extremist groups--and the escalation of their activities--portends the fragmentation of the country, while others believe such is the way American pluralism works. The word extremism often carries negative contations, yet in 1964 Barry Goldwater famously said, Extremism in the defense of liberty is vice. Extremism in America is a sweeping overview and assessment of the various brands of bigotry, prejudice, zealotry, dogmatism, and partisanship found in the United States, including the extreme right, the antiglobalization movement, Black Nationalism, Chica separatism, militant Islam, Jewish extremism, eco-extremism, the radical antiabortion movement, and extremist terrorism. Many of these forms of single-minded intolerance are repressed by both the state and society at large, but others receive significant support from their constituencies and enjoy a level of respectability in some quarters of the mainstream. The essays in this volume examine the relationship between these movements and the larger society, dissect the arguments of contemporary American anarchist activists, look at recent trends in political extremism, and suggest how and why such arguments resonate with a considerable number of people.
- Author BiographyGeorge Michael, associate professor of criminal justice at Westfield State University in Massachusetts, USA is the author of five books, including Lone Wolf Terror and the Rise of Leaderless Resistance, Theology of Hate, and Willis Carto and the American Far Right.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byGeorge Michael
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.