Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionF.M. Halford and the Dry-Fly Revolution is the first full-length biography of the man who did more that anyone to codify and popularize the doctrine of the dry fly on chalk streams. By the end of his life, with the publication of seven books and over 200 articles, the name of Halford had come to be kwn in all parts of the world where fly fishing for trout was practised. Today his name is still recognized worldwide as being synymous with the fishing of the dry fly. Tony Hayter is the only author to have been given access to the family papers, including Halford's angling journals, and has thus been able to produce a work of original research. The book also sets the historical context in which Halford lived, follows him through his unusual career, considers the influence upon him of other major figures of the era such as Marryat, Hall and Sanctuary, and discusses why Halford has often been misunderstood and criticized since his death. This book which contains many previously unseen illustrations makes a substantial contribution to angling history. Packed with anecdote, incident and newly unearthed detail, through which runs a strong narrative thread, F.M. Halford and the Dry-Fly Revolution makes irrestible reading for anyone seriously interested in angling.
- Author BiographyTony Hayter has been an angler since catching his first fish in 1947. A former university lecturer, his previous publications included The Army and the Crowd in Mid-Georgian England and An Eighteenth-Century Secretary at War. As a professional historian as well as an angler he is well placed to write an authoritative biography of Halford. He lives with his wife and two Burmese cats in Dorset, where he tends a large garden, reads and writes, helps with the New Dictionary of National biography, of which he is an associate editor, and pursues the wild trout of the area.
- Author(s)Tony Hayter
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2002
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobert Hale Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations, (some colour )
- Weight600 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.