Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.16
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $39.96
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionAt thirty-three one's direction in life should be clear, and mine was t.' In search of some direction, or at least a new challenge, Jeffrey Tayler gave up his day job of opening rejection letters from publishers and went exploring. Having always been fascinated by Africa and the great age of Victorian exploration he went to Kinshasa in Zaire (w the Democratic Republic of Congo) and found a boat to take him up-river to Kisangani, deep in the heart of the jungle. Not content with that, he then bought a pirogue (a kind of cae), hired a guide and set out to paddle the 1,000 miles back to Kinshasa. A personal journey, an intrepid voyage, an exceptionally well-written travelogue: FACING THE CONGO is all these things and more. A wonderfully vivid and exciting read for armchair adventurers everywhere.
- Author BiographyJeffrey Tayler is a writer and traveller, and the author of one previous book.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Tayler
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication02/05/2002
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIntegrated: 12, b/w int.
- Weight244 g
- Width125 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Most relevant reviews
- rosbill1014 Apr, 2017by
Honest account of life in the Congo
I enjoyed reading the book and found there was plenty of detailed information on life as it was, and in some places, still is in the Congo. My son is a pilot in Kinshasa and has been living there for 21 years. He says very little about his work or life in the Congo, so I found it very informative.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New