Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the links between tales preserved in Latin from the Middle Ages and 'classic' fairy tales from the collections of the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen. When did fairy tales begin? What qualifies as a fairy tale? Is a true fairy tale oral or literary? Or is a fairy tale determined t by style but by content? To answer these and other questions, Jan M. Ziolkowski provides a comprehensive overview of the theoretical debates about fairy tale origins and includes an extensive discussion of the relationship of the fairy tale to both the written and oral sources. Ziolkowski offers interpretations of a sampling of the tales in order to sketch the complex connections that existed in the Middle Ages between oral folktales and their written equivalents, the variety of uses to which the writers applied the stories, and the diverse relationships between the medieval texts and the expressions of the same tales in the 'classic' fairy tale collections of the 19th century. In so doing, Ziolkowski explores stories that survive in versions associated with, on the one hand, such standards of the 19th-century fairy tale as the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, and Carlo Collodi and, on the other, medieval Latin, demonstrating that the literary fairy tale owes a great debt to the Latin literature of the medieval period.
- Author BiographyJan M. Ziolkowski is Arthur Kingsley Porter Professor of Medieval Latin at Harvard University.
- Author(s)Jan M. Ziolkowski
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note1 illustration
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.