All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionIt wasn't so long ago that the fairy tale was comfortably settled as an established and respectable part of children's literature. Since the fairy tale has always been a mirror of its times, however, we should t be surprised that in the latter part of the twentieth century it turned dark and ambiguous; its categorical distinction between good and evil was increasingly at odds with the times. Yet whatever changes the fairy tale may have undergone, its cultural popularity has never been greater. Fairy Tales and Popular Culture sets out to show how the tale has been adapted to meet the needs of the contemporary world; how writers, film-makers, artists and other communicators have found in its universality an ideal vehicle for speaking to the here-and-w; and how social media has created a participatory culture that has re-invented the folktale. A selection of recent retellings show how the tale is being recalibrated for the contemporary world, first through the word and then through the image. In addition to the introductions that precede each section, the anthology provides a selection of critical pieces that offer lively insight into various aspects of the fairy tale as popular culture.
- Author BiographyMartin Hallett and Barbara Karasek teach at Acadia University and Vanier College, respectively. They have published articles and presented seminars on folk and fairy tales, and have been co-organisers of the Montreal Children's Literature Conference.
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/08/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byBarbara Karasek,Martin Hallett
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.