All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this volume, highly esteemed scholar Kevin Vanhoozer introduces readers to a way of thinking about Christian theology that takes the work he began in the groundbreaking 2005 book, The Drama of Doctrine, to its next level. Vanhoozer argues that theology is t merely a set of cognitive beliefs, but is also something we do that involves speech and action alike. He uses a theatrical model to explain the ways in which doctrine shapes Christian understanding and forms disciples. The church, Vanhoozer posits, is the preeminent theater where the gospel is performed, with doctrine directing this performance. Doctrines are t simply truths to be stored, shelved, and stacked, but indications and directions to be followed, practiced, and enacted. In performing doctrine, Christians are shaped into active disciples of Jesus Christ. He goes on to examine the state of the church in today's world and explores how disciples can do or perform doctrine. Written in an accessible and engaging style, Faith Speaking Understanding sets forth a compelling vision of what the church is and what it should be doing, and demonstrates the importance of Christian doctrine for this mission. Disciples who want to follow Christ in all situations need doctrinal direction as they walk onto the social stage in the great theater of the world. The Christian faith is about ackwledging, and participating in, the great thing God is doing in our world: making all things new in Christ through the Holy Spirit. Doctrine ministers understanding: of God, of the drama of redemption, of the church as a company of faithful players, and of individual actors, all of whom have important roles to play. In an age where things fall apart and centers fail to hold, doctrine centers us in Jesus Christ, in whom all things hold together.
- Author BiographyKevin J. Vanhoozer is Research Professor of Biblical and Systematic Theology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He has previously taught at Wheaton College and the University of Edinburgh. In addition to The Drama of Doctrine, Vanhoozer is the author or editor of several books.
- Author(s)Kevin J. Vanhoozer
- PublisherWestminster/John Knox Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication29/11/2013
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationLouisville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestminster/John Knox Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.