All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Alison Lurie</b>, one of America's greatest velists, has written a loving memoir of world-famous poet James Merrill and his longtime partner David Jackson. Drawing on her forty-year friendship with Merrill and Jackson, Lurie reveals the couple's deep involvement with ghosts, gods, and spirits, with whom they communicated through a Ouija board. Among the results of their intense twenty-year preoccupation with the occult is the brilliant book-length poem The Changing Light at Sandover, which Merrill called his chronicles of love and loss. Recalling Merrill and Jackson's life together in New York, Athens, and Key West, <b>Familiar Spirits</b> is a poignant memoir infused with great affection and generous amounts of Lurie's signature wit.
- Author BiographyAlison Lurie is the author of many highly praised novels, including <b>The War Between the Tates</b>, <b>The Truth About Lorin Jones</b> (Prix Femina Etranger), and <b>Foreign Affairs</b> (Pulitzer Prize for fiction). Her most recent book was <b>Familiar Spirits</b>. She teaches writing, folklore, and literature at Cornell University.
- Author(s)Frederic J Whiton Professor of American Literature Alison Lurie
- PublisherPenguin Books
- Date of Publication26/02/2002
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Books
- Weight145 g
- Width140 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.