Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
About this product
- DescriptionFood allergies affect millions of people including children and currently there are kwn 'cures' for these allergic reactions. The eight primary food allergies are to milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish, though someone may, also, be allergic to medication. Even trace amounts of a food allergen can cause a reaction. Symptoms like breathing difficulties, trouble swallowing, fainting or sharp increase in heart rate usually show up within minutes of exposure, though some take several hours or even twenty-four hours. So early identification and strict avoidance of kwn food allergens are essential to prevent serious health consequences. Schwartz recommends observing children carefully for patterns and discussing them with your paediatrician. A colicky baby might be allergic to milk or a nappy rash might show up every time after an infant eats eggs. Skin and blood tests are essential for a definitive diagsis. After Schwartz details the obvious and hidden sources of the eight main types of food allergies and shares savvy allergen-avoidance techniques, she devotes five chapters to various challenges and how to cope with them, in schools and restaurants, on public transport and other enclosed spaces and during family holidays. Ather chapter is chock-full of recipes like chewy grala bars, made without nuts or wheat and homemade vanilla ice cream, made without milk. Besides providing a wealth of helpful advice, Schwartz's overall message is supportive and positive: It's absolutely possible to live a full, active life with your food allergies.
- Author BiographyMireille Schwartz, who has food allergies and whose family members do, is the CEO and founder in 2007 of the Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board. A resident of San Francisco, she served on the Board of Directors of the leading worldwide resource on food allergies, the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), from 2009 to 2011.
- Author(s)Mireille Schwartz
- PublisherBasic Health Publications
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationNorth Bergen,NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintBasic Health Publications
- Out-of-print date22/05/2017
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.