Phillips, Rev. Jeremiah, D.D., was born in Plainfield, N. Y., Jan. 5,1812. He began a course of study at the Literary and Theological Seminary at Hamilton, N. Y., w kwn as Madison University at a young age. While there, Amos Sutton, D. D., of the English General Baptist Mission in India, visited America and addressed the students of this and other schools. Brother Phillips with others decided to devote his life to missionary service. He was appointed a missionary Aug. 11, 1835, ordained at Plainfield, September 2, arriving at Balasore October 12. Brother Phillips was in active work until June, 1879, when they returned to America. After a few weeks' suffering he died at Hillsdale, Mich., Dec. 9 of that year, and his earthly remains were laid away in Oak Grove cemetery, rth of the college grounds. Brother Phillips was the first to reduce the Santal language to writing, and their elementary books were prepared by him. For his work in behalf of the Santals he received the thanks of the British government; and in all his service he evinced the character and spirit of a true missionary of the cross. His memory is cherished with gratitude and esteem by the native converts in India, and with love by the people whom he represented as Christ's ambassador among the people of India.