All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume explores ecomic, social, and political dimensions of three catastrophic famines which struck mid-nineteenth and early-twentieth century Europe; the Irish Famine (An Gorta Mor ) of 1845-1850, the Finnish Famine (Suuret Nalkavuodet) of the 1860s and the Ukrainian Famine (Holodomor) of 1932/1933. In addition to providing new insights into these events on international, national and regional scales, this volume contributes to an increased comparative historiography in historical famine studies. The parallel studies presented in this book challenge and enhance established understandings of famine tragedies, including: famine causation and culpability; social and regional famine vulnerabilities; core-periphery relationships between nations and regions; degrees of national automy and self-sufficiency; as well as famine memory and identity. Famines in European Ecomic History advocates that the impact and long-term consequences of famine for a nation should be understood in the context of evolving geopolitical relations that extend beyond its borders. Furthermore, regional structures within a nation can lead to unevenness in both the severity of the immediate famine crisis and the post-famine recovery. This book will be of interest to those in the fields of ecomic history, European history and ecomic geography.
- Author BiographyDeclan Curran is Lecturer in Development Economics and Industrial Economics at Dublin City University Business School, Ireland. Lubomyr Luciuk is Professor of Political Geography at the Royal Military College of Canada and Fellow of the Chair of Ukrainian Studies at the University of Toronto. Andrew G. Newby is Senior Research Fellow of the Academy of Finland, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/07/2012
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Explorations in Economic History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note26 black & white illustrations, 13 black & white tables, 26 black & white line drawings
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAndrew G. Newby,Declan Curran,Lubomyr Y. Luciuk
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.40
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $31.80
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.