All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew if any books come close to being as beloved-or as ubiquitous-as J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Best-sellers for decades, they became even more popular on the heels of Peter Jackson's Oscar-winning film adaptations. And throughout, fans have t only read the books, they've engaged with them, building one of the most active and creative fan communities in the world. This entry in the Fan Phemena series offers the best look we've had yet at the fan culture surrounding The Lord of the Rings. Academically informed, but written for the general reader, the book delves into such topics as the philosophy of the series and its fans, the distinctions between the films' fans and the books' fans, the process of adaptation, the role of New Zealand in the translation of words to images (and the resulting Lord of the Rings tourism), and much, much more. Lavishly illustrated, it is guaranteed to appeal to anyone who has ever closed the last page of The Return of the King and wished journey didn't have to end.
- Author BiographyLorna Piatti-Farnell is director of the Popular Culture Research Centre at Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand.
- Author(s)Lorna Piatti-Farnell
- PublisherIntellect Books
- Date of Publication17/07/2015
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleIB - Fan Phenomena
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIntellect Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width168 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $17.80Trending at AU $22.39
- AU $43.34Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.27
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.66
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.