All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExplore the many fascinating nineteenth century traditions associated with death and mourning. The widespread influence of England's Queen Victoria perpetuated displays of grieving as she, her court, and loyal subjects remained in a state of mourning for over forty years. Over 300 color photographs display jewelry, photography and painted portraits, children's, men's, and women's clothes; poems, letters of sympathy, armbands, procession badges, hair receivers, anuncements, and horse-drawn vehicles that were specifically associated with death customs. Symbolism in written phrases, flowers, and objects is presented and many examples are shown. Over 70 pages of a Victorian hair jewelry catalog are included, showing hundreds of designs that could be ordered as keepsakes, often using your own hair. Today's collectors of friendship and mourning memorabilia can expect to see antique items that t only speak of comfort and solace in times of need but continue to appreciate in value.
- Author BiographyMary Brett is a dedicated student of mourning customs and artefacts who has selected an important reference archive over many years. It is her intention in writing this book to give readers insight into the beauty of death, as seen through the eyes of Victorians, and to share some of the artefacts they left as reminders of their convictions and reverence for the departed. She lives in Richmond, Virginia.
- Author(s)Mary Brett
- PublisherSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationAtglen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Content Note229 color and 72 b/w photographs
- Weight1600 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.