All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER FromJeff Shaara comes the riveting final installment in the Civil War series that began with A Blaze of Glory and continued in A Chain of Thunder and The Smoke at Dawn. November 1864: As the Civil War rolls into its fourth bloody year, the tide has turned decidedly in favor of the Union. A grateful Abraham Lincoln responds to Ulysses S. Grant s successes by bringing the general east, promoting Grant to command the entire Union war effort, while William Tecumseh Sherman w directs the Federal forces that occupy all of Tennessee. In a massive surge southward, Sherman conquers the city of Atlanta, sweeping aside the Confederate army under the inept leadership of General John Bell Hood. Pushing through rthern Georgia, Sherman s legendary March to the Sea shoves away any Rebel presence, and by Christmas 1864 the city of Savannah falls into the hands of Uncle Billy. Now there is but one direction for Sherman to go. In his way stands the last great hope for the Southern cause, General Joseph E. Johnston. In the concluding vel of his epic Civil War tetralogy, Jeff Shaara tells the dramatic story of the final eight months of battle from multiple perspectives: the commanders in their tents making plans for total victory, as well as the ordinary foot soldiers and cavalrymen who carried out their orders until the last alarum sounded. Through Sherman s eyes, we gain insight into the mind of the general who vowed to make Georgia howl until it surrendered. In Johnston, we see a man agonizing over the limits of his army s power, and accepting the burden of leading the last desperate effort to ensure the survival of the Confederacy. The Civil War did t end quietly. It climaxed in a storm of fury that lay waste to everything in its path. The Fateful Lightning brings to life those final brutal, bloody months of fighting with you-are-there immediacy, grounded in the meticulous research that readers have come to expect from Jeff Shaara. Praise for Jeff Shaara s new Civil War series The Fateful Lightning Powerful and emotional . . . highly recommended. Historical Novels Review Outstanding . . . Shaara combines his extensive kwledge of military history with his consummate skill as a storyteller. Booklist Readers . . . looking for an absorbing vel will be well rewarded. The Clarion-Ledger A great accomplishment and a more than fitting conclusion to Shaara s work on the Civil War. Bookreporter A Blaze of Glory [An] exciting read . . . This vel is meticulously researched and brings a vivid reality to the historical events depicted. Library Journal Dynamic portrayals [of] Johnston, Grant and William Tecumseh Sherman. The Wall Street Journal A Chain of Thunder Shaara continues to draw powerful vels from the bloody history of the Civil War. Kirkus Reviews Shaara s historical accuracy is faultless. . . . The voices of these people come across to the reader as poignantly clear as they did 150 years ago. Historical Novels Review The Smoke at Dawn Beautifully written . . . Shaara once again elevates history from mere rote fact to explosive and engaging drama. Bookreporter From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJeff Shaara is the New York Times bestselling author of The Smoke at Dawn, A Chain of Thunder, A Blaze of Glory, The Final Storm, No Less Than Victory, The Steel Wave, The Rising Tide, To the Last Man, The Glorious Cause, Rise to Rebellion, and Gone for Soldiers, as well as Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure two novels that complete the Civil War trilogy that began with his father s Pulitzer Prize winning classic, The Killer Angels. Shaara was born into a family of Italian immigrants in New Brunswick, New Jersey. He grew up in Tallahassee, Florida, and graduated from Florida State University. He lives in Gettysburg.
- Author(s)Jeff Shaara
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/2016
- SubjectWar Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintBallantine Books Inc.
- Content Note10 Maps
- Weight408 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.52Trending at AU $31.88
- AU $55.54Trending at AU $56.86
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.75
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.38
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $12.68Trending at AU $13.16
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.