All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe world of ancient Greece witnessed some of the most sophisticated and varied experiments with federalism in the pre-modern era. In the volatile interstate environment of Greece, federalism was a creative response to the challenge of establishing regional unity, while at the same time preserving a degree of local automy. To reconcile the forces of integration and independence, Greek federal states introduced, for example, the tion of proportional representation, the stratification of legal practice, and a federal grammar of festivals and cults. Federalism in Greek Antiquity provides the first comprehensive reassessment of the topic. It comprises detailed contributions on all federal states in Aegean Greece and its periphery. With every chapter written by a leading expert in the field, the book also incorporates thematic sections that place the topic in a broader historical and social-scientific context.
- Author BiographyHans Beck is Professor of Ancient History, John McNaughton Chair of Classics, and Director of Classical Studies in the Department of History and Classical Studies at McGill University, Montreal. He is co-author, with John Buckler, of Central Greece and the Politics of Power in the Fourth Century BC (2008), editor of A Companion to Ancient Greek Government (2013) and, co-editor with Antonio Dupla, Martin Jehne and Francisco Pina Polo, of Consuls and Res Publica: Holding High Office in the Roman Republic (2011). In 2015 he won the Anneliese Maier Research Award for his contribution to the internationalisation of the humanities and social sciences in Germany. Peter Funke is Professor and Chair of Ancient History and Director of the Institute for Ancient History, the Institute for Epigraphy, and the Institute for Interdisciplinary Cypriote Studies at Westfalische Wilhelms-Universitat, Munster. He is co-editor, with Nino Luraghi, of The Politics of Ethnicity and the Crisis of the Peloponnesian League (2009) and, with Matthias Haake, of Greek Federal States and Their Sanctuaries: Identity and Integration (2013).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/10/2015
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 maps
- Weight1010 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Edited byHans Beck,Peter Funke
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.