All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe term women's liberation remains charged and divisive decades after it first entered political and cultural discourse around 1970. In Feeling Women's Liberation, Victoria Hesford mines the archive of that highly contested era to reassess how it has been represented and remembered. Hesford refocuses debates about the movement's history and influence. Rather than interpreting women's liberation in terms of success or failure, she approaches the movement as a range of rhetorical strategies that were used to persuade and enact a new political constituency and, ultimately, to bring a new world into being. Hesford focuses on rhetoric, tracking the production and deployment of particular phrases and figures in both the mainstream press and movement writings, including the work of Kate Millett. She charts the emergence of the feminist-as-lesbian as a persistent image-memory of women's liberation, and she demonstrates how the trope has obscured the complexity of the women's movement and its lasting impact on feminism.
- Author BiographyVictoria Hesford is Assistant Professor of Women's and Gender Studies in the Department of Cultural Analysis and Theory at Stony Brook University. She is the coeditor of Feminist Time against Nation Time: Gender, Politics, and the Nation-State in an Age of Permanent War.
- Author(s)Victoria Hesford
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication05/06/2013
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleNext Wave: New Directions in Women's Studies
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note4 illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.37Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.