All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionThe first standard edition of the writings of Felicia Hemans (1793-1835), this volume marks a revival of interest in, and a new critical appreciation of, one of the most important literary figures of the early nineteenth century. A best-selling poet in England and America, Felicia Hemans was regarded as leading female poet in her day, celebrated as the epitome of national feminine values. However, this same narrow perception of her work eventually relegated Hemans to an obscurity lightened occasionally by parody and a sentimental enthusiasm for poems such as The Landing of the Pilgrim Fathers and Casabianca. Only w is Hemans's work being rediscovered and reconsidered--for the complexity of its social and political vision, but also for its sounding of dissonances in nineteenth-century cultural ideals, and for its recasting of the traditional can of male Romantics. Offering readers a firsthand acquaintance with the remarkable range of Hemans's writing, this volume includes five major works in their entirety, along with a much-admired aggregate, Records of Woman. Hemans's letters, many published here for the first time, reflect her views of her contemporaries, her work, her negotiations with publishers, and her emerging celebrity, while reviews and letters from others--including Lord Byron, Walter Scott, and the Wordsworths--tell the story of Hemans's reception in her time. An introduction by editor Susan Wolfson puts these writings, as well as Hemans's life and work, into much-needed perspective for the contemporary reader.
- Author BiographySusan Wolfson is Professor of English at Princeton University. She is the author of several critical volumes on poetry of the British Romantic era and the editor of critical editions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and editions of Byron, Hood, Praed, Beddoes, as well as the Romantics unit of the Longman Anthology of British Literature.
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication04/01/2010
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note2 halftones
- Weight914 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited bySusan J. Wolfson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.