All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does it mean to be a woman today in Italy, a country with the lowest birthrate in the world and the heaviest maternal stereotype? Does being a feminist exclude practices of cultural femininity? What are Italian women's cultural productions? These questions are at the centre of In recent years, several books have introduced the American public to Italian women's voices. This volume goes beyond others in its range of theoretical topics and modes, considering cultural practices t only in their popular, material appearance, but also in the disciplines and forms of kwledge that order information and circumscribe behaviour. The essays, all by well-kwn scholars in Italian studies, reflect the authors' specific critical interests in cinema, fashion, literary texts, feminist theory, and popular culture, past and present. Some address the issue of feminism and femininity in the culture of everyday life, while others examine it in the context of philosophy, ethics, or national identity within a global culture. Some begin with the conviction that performing femininity - whether in appearance or in nurturing practices - can be culturally liberating. Others put this tion to the critical test. By situating the problem of femininity within the discussion of feminism, this volume takes on larger issues within feminist discourse. Its bold examination of the component of femininity within the context of women's experiences offers readers rare insight into Italian women's culture, and into the multicultural possibilities of feminism.
- Author BiographyProfessor Miceli-Jeffrie currently works at the University of Wisconson-Madison.
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication17/11/1994
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Out-of-print date10/07/2008
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight400 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byGiovanna Jeffries
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.