All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionWith reference to Paul Ricoeur's conception of the interconnectedness of history and fiction, this comparative literary study examines narrative strategies that three contemporary writers of fiction - Toni Morrison, V. S. Naipaul, and Ben Okri - have devised to counteract the incompleteness of historical representation. In her vel Beloved Morrison redefines the slave-narrative tradition and reveals an alternative history of slavery by unveiling the interior lives of her characters. Through a hybrid prose that mixes fiction with history in the vels The Enigma of Arrival and A Way in the World, Naipaul illuminates areas of darkness in the diasporic world of East Indian Trinidadians and provides new ways of transforming English literary and cultural history. Focusing on West African identity and community, Okri brings a mythic and fantastic dimension to postcolonial fiction as a way of giving a voice to people who are generally without power and almost without any place in a world of inequality and injustice. Probing into historical incompleteness, this study underscores the indispensable role of fiction in representing life, rectifying history, and enlarging reality.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Zhu Ying received her BA and M.A. in English Language and Literature from Wuhan University in the People's Republic of China. She completed her Ph.D. in English Literary Studies at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and is currently teaching and working for the American Studies Program in the Department of English at East China Normal University in Shanghai. Her research interests are contemporary fiction, critical theories, postcolonial studies, and African American and American literature.
- Author(s)Zhu Ying
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2006
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight240 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.