All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe eruption of rural distress in Ireland and the foundation of the Land League in 1879 sparked a number of vels, stories and plays forming an immediate response to what became kwn as the Irish Land war. These works form a literary genre of their own and illuminate both the historical events themselves and the material conditions of reading and writing in late nineteenth-century Ireland. Divisions into 'us' and 'them' were convenient for political reasons, but the fiction of the period frequently modifies this alignment and draws attention to the complexity of the land problem. This collection includes studies of canical land war vels, publication channels, collaborations between artists and authors, literary conventions and the interplay between personal experience and literary output. It also includes unique resources such as a reprinted letter by the author Mary Anne Sadlier and a reproduction of Rosa Mulholland's little-kwn play Our Boycotting. The book concludes with a detailed bibliography of land war fiction between 1879 and 1916, which should inspire further reading and research into the genre.
- Author BiographyHeidi Hansson is Professor of English Literature at Umea University, Sweden. Her publications include Emily Lawless 1845-1913: Writing the Interspace (2007) and the edited volume Irish Nineteenth-Century Women's Prose: New Contexts and Readings (2008). James H. Murphy is Professor of English at DePaul University, Chicago, USA. He is the author of Abject Loyalty: Nationalism and Monarchy in Ireland during the Reign of Queen Victoria (2001), Irish Novelists and the Victorian Age (2011) and Ireland's Czar: Gladstonian Government and the Lord Lieutenancies of the Red Earl Spencer, 1868-1886 (2014). He also edited The Oxford History of the Irish Book, Volume 4: The Irish Book in English, 1800-91 (2011).
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication25/06/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleReimagining Ireland
- Series Part/Volume Number58
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight360 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byHeidi Hansson,James H. Murphy
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $36.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.