All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.35
- AU $61.12Trending at AU $61.77
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $17.89Trending at AU $18.33
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
About this product
- DescriptionA contemporary of Lorca and Bunuel in Spain's Second Republic, Max Aub escaped into a life of exile after General Franco seized Barcelona. His masterpiece, ackwledged in Spain as one of the best accounts of the Spanish Civil War, is the five-vel cycle kwn as The Magic Labyrinth - never before translated into English. A playwright as well as a velist, he brings the period alive through vibrant dialogue and a story that navigates the factional intrigues that eventually erupted onto the streets in violence. The protagonist of the first vel is Rafael Lopez Serrador, whose coming of age in Barcelona introduces a cast from all walks of city life - Catalan nationalists, anarchists, Falangists, government ministers and showgirls. Just as central a character is Barcelona itself, lovingly depicted. Rafael's adventures bring him into contact with the forces that were to destroy the Republic and determine the bloody course of the Spanish Civil War. Masterfully translated by Gerald Martin, author of Gabriel Garcia Marquez: A Life , Maz Aub's vel is set to introduce to an English-speaking audience a classic of Spanish and Latin American literature - an account of the Spanish Civil War to compare with Ernest Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls .
- Author BiographyMAX AUB (1903-72) was born in Paris to German parents and grew up in Spain, before escaping to France and then Mexico, where he lived from 1942 until his death. He wrote novels, plays and literary criticism, and founded the journal 'Los sesenta' with the poets Jorge Guillen and Rafael Alberrti. GERALD MARTIN teaches literature at the University of Pittsburgh and is the author of, amongst other works, 'Journeys through the Labyrinth' and 'Gabriel Garcia Marquez: A Life'.
- Author(s)Max Aub
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Weight390 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byGerald S. Martin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.